Monday, May 28, 2012

Drool, Part 3 -- LuLu is a Fast Learner

This morning, as soon as Mommy was out the door to go to work LuLu came over to me and said, "Ethel Frances, I need to talk to you about something because you are my big sister and you know things that I want to know.  OK?"  I was so happy and proud that LuLu was coming to me for advice.  It was the very first time she did that.  "Of course, LuLu.  I will be happy to listen and help and teach you whenever you want because I love you.  What's on your mind?"

"Well, I know that Mommy always shares her food with us but I also noticed that Mommy shares with you first.  And I noticed that she always feeds you fast if you are drooling.  Right?  Ethel Frances, why?"  I chuckled and explained the drool tool to LuLu.  (I just thought up the expression drool tool because I use it like a tool when I need help.)  "Well, LuLu, when Mommy has food that I want, I concentrate on the smell of the food and I think about how good it tastes and my mouth fills up with saliva.  Do you know what saliva is, LuLu?  It is the real name for spit.  So instead of swallowing the saliva, I open my mouth a little on the sides and when the saliva pours out, it is called drooling."  I know LuLu knows what drool is when she sees me do it but I wanted to give her a good explanation to make sure she understood.

"Most people think drooling is gross because it is wet and slimy and that's how Mommy feels, too.  Mommy knows that we need saliva to mix with food to make it easy to swallow and she knows if she gives me food, I will stop drooling and I will use that saliva to help me eat her food.  So she shares her food with me and she is happy that I stopped drooling all over her and I am happy because I love to eat!"  LuLu listened carefully while I was talking to her and when I was finished she said, "Wow, Ethel Frances!  You are so smart.  Will you   teach me how to drool?  Please."  Of course I wanted to help my little sister, but how in the world do you teach someone how to drool.  I thought about it and came up with an idea.

"Let's go in the kitchen, LuLu, and see if Mommy left anything out.  She was late getting ready for work and she was in a big hurry to leave so she may have overlooked something.  Look, Lu, she didn't put the Cheerios on top of the fridge and they are your favorite kind -- Peanut Butter Cheerios!  Jump up and get the box, Lu, and give it to me."  Her legs are longer than mine and it is easier for her to jump up at the counter.  She gave me the box and I reached in and got a mouthful and dropped the Cheerios on the floor.  "OK, Lu.  I want you to think very hard about the taste of those Cheerios.  That wonderful flavor  and smell of peanut butter that you love."  I ate a few and said, "Mmmm, Lu.  These are so delicious."  I pushed them over to her and told her not to touch them.  She sat there and she closed her eyes to help her concentrate.  "Well, LuLu.  Do you feel anything?"

LuLu gave me a big smile and when she did, guess what happened.  She drooled!  "LuLu, you did it!  You really did it!  And you are making a mess with that nasty drool.  I guess you better eat those Cheerios!"  She ate them so fast I was afraid she might choke.  "Do you want to do it a few more times?    When you learn something new, it is a good idea to practice so you get good at it and so you won't forget how.  So we spent the morning drooling and eating Cheerios.  Izzy couldn't figure out how to drool but we shared with her anyway because she was licking up the drool.  It's gross when she does that but she is proud of herself for being a helper and then we don't have to wipe it up.  We are a good team.  I wonder if we could be on TV on a Cheerios commercial.  That would be awesome.

Mommy came home from work and we ran to greet her, barking and jumping and kissing her.  "Hi girls. Did you have a good day today?"  We looked at her and then we looked at each other and smiled.  Mommy fed us and walked us and when we got home from our walk, she turned on the TV and sat down with a box of crackers.  We all ran over to Mommy and sat right in front of her, hoping she would share.  I decided to let LuLu drool first so she could show Mommy what she learned.  Mommy was munching and crunching and suddenly she said, "LuLu!  Oh my goodness!  Are you drooling?  Are you really drooling?  When did you start doing that?  Ewww.  Gross!  Ethel Frances, are you drooling, too? Oh yuck.  Now I have two puddles of slime in my lap."

She grabbed three crackers and gave us each one as fast as she could.  While we were eating, we each looked at each other and smiled.  LuLu was so very proud of herself and I was proud of her and I was proud of myself because I was a good teacher.  Mommy leaned forward and looked each of us dead in the eyes.  She shook her head and kind of whispered to herself, "If I didn't know better, I would swear Ethel Frances taught LuLu how to drool."  We looked at her and drooled again, together, to show Mommy that she was right.

"Well, Ethel Frances, you are something else!  I bet Al never taught anyone how to drool.  And LuLu, you might be the first person -- oops, I mean dog -- who actually learned how to drool from someone else!  I am impressed with how smart you both are.  I hope Izzy doesn't start drooling.  Let's have another cracker, girls.  I love you all."

LuLu was smart to ask for advice.  Older sisters and brothers can be great resources.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book