Monday, June 18, 2012

I Was a Good Girl -- But It Wasn't Easy!

Mommy and I went to the Home today to visit our friends. Mommy says they are our friends, but they are really my friends. They only talk to Mommy to be polite because she is the person who takes me to see them. Anyway, we had a nice visit and when we were almost at the door to leave, I saw my friends, Miriam and Marissa, sitting at a table in the Conservatory. I gave Mommy a pull on my leash so she would know that I wanted to say hi to my friends. It worked and we went right into the Conservatory.

Miriam and Marissa were excited to see me. They called me over and they hugged me and patted me and hugged me some more. When Marissa put her face down to mine to kiss me, I kissed her back and I tasted food! My stomach was so excited. I backed up a little to see what was on the table and there it was: Lunch! Marissa had a cheese sandwich and an orange. I guess Miriam was finished eating because all I saw in front of her was orange rind and I don't like to eat that because it is bitter, but I certainly do enjoy eating cheese sandwiches. The bread on the sandwich was light brown and I know that means that the cheese was soft and gooey.

I got real close to Marissa again, waiting for her to lean down to give me a hug and kiss. That would be my opportunity to grab that sandwich right off the table. Then I remembered something. One other time when we were leaving the Home, Miriam and Marissa were sitting outside eating their lunch. Marissa had a cheese sandwich that day, too, only the bread was white and the cheese was hard. I know the cheese was hard because I was naughty. I walked right up to Marissa and grabbed that sandwich right out of her hand and ate it. Mommy was angry and I think she was embarrassed and disappointed, too. I remember the look on her face when she told me how shocked she was that I did that and she said Marissa wouldn't have anything to eat the rest of the day. I was sad about that. I have to admit when I snatched the sandwich I wasn't thinking about Marissa at all. All I was thinking about was my mouth and my stomach and how good they would feel if I ate that sandwich.

Today I am happy to report that since I took the time to think about the last cheese sandwich episode, I decided to be good. Mommy saw that sandwich, too, and she remembered, too, and she helped me. "Ethel Frances," Mommy whispered, "Please don't touch Marissa's lunch, OK? Remember the last time? I want you to just pretend like you never even saw that sandwich. OK, Honey? I know you can be a good girl, Ethel Frances."

I looked at Mommy, and then at Marissa, and then at that cheese sandwich and I gave Marissa a big, slurpy kiss and pulled on my leash to leave. Mommy understood me even though I can't talk. She said, "OK, Ethel Frances. I know by that pull that you are ready to go home and I know you want to leave before you change your mind and grab that sandwich. You are the best girl and I am lucky to be your Mommy."

When we got home Mommy told my sisters how good I was at the Home and she gave all of us a treat! I love my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book