Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I Won the Tickets but Mommy Went to the Game

Last Tuesday, I got a message on my blog page. It said, "Congratulations, Ethel Frances. You won two tickets to a Wizards game on February 6." Mommy read it to me because I can't read yet. She started yelling and jumping up and down and clapping her hands. I was excited, too. I love basketball. I have watched the Wizards play, but only on TV. Now I was going to see the game in person! Since I won two tickets, I decided to take Mommy. She loves basketball, too, and we would have an outing without my little sisters. Perfect!

As soon as Mommy calmed down, I experienced discrimination for the first time in my life. Discrimination means leaving someone out because of what they are. Here is what happened. As soon as Mommy stopped yelling she picked up the phone and made a call. She said, "Sharon! You won't believe what happened. Ethel Frances won tickets to the Wizards game. Dogs aren't allowed in so do you want to go with me?"

I heard Mommy say, "Dogs aren't allowed in," and I didn't hear anything else. I think I was in shock. Why did Mommy say dogs aren't allowed to go to Wizards games? I go to lots of places with Mommy and people are always happy to see me. Why do the Wizards discriminate against dogs? What did we ever do to them? I was so sad and confused and once again I couldn't talk to Mommy about my feelings because dogs can't talk. Is that discrimination, too?

When Mommy got off of the phone, she looked at me and said, "Oh, Ethel Frances, honey. I am sorry I was so excited. I guess I forgot that you didn't know that dogs aren't allowed to go to Wizards games." I looked at Mommy with my sad eyes look. I even had tears in my eyes.

Mommy sat on the floor wirh me and gave me a tight hug and a kiss. "I know you think it isn't fair, especially since you won the tickets. The Wizards don't discriminate. Dogs aren't allowed for many reasons. A lot of people are allergic to dogs. Some dogs aren't nice to people and that can be dangerous. Some dogs aren't nice to other dogs. Remember when Izzy used to bite you? That can be dangerous, too. So for all of those reasons, dogs just aren't allowed. I don't know if you understand, but I hope you do. You are a wonderful dog and if the Wizards knew you, they would love you. But I love you more than anybody!"

Wow! Mommy knew what I was feeling even though I couldn't tell her! I guess she is right and dogs probably shouldn't be allowed to go, but that doesn't make me any happier. The bottom line is I won the tickets, but Mommy and Sharon went to the game. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book