Tuesday, June 25, 2013

She Called Me Boy

All my life I have known that I am a girl.  When I was a little baby before my human mommy adopted me, my dog mommy said to me in Dog Language, "You are a beautiful little girl."  It makes me happy that I still remember that.

My human mommy adopted me when I was eight weeks old.  She always tells me that I am a good girl and that I am a beautiful girl.  In fact, we only have girls living in our house.  Imagine my surprise when someone called me boy.

Here is what happened.  Mommy and I were taking our long evening walk.  When we got close to the pool, we saw a lady leaving the pool and going to her car.  I didn't recognize the lady so I walked over to meet her.  She was very friendly.  She got down on her knees and gave me hugs and kisses.  She said, "I really love dogs."

I could tell by the look on Mommy's face that she was very proud of me.  I was enjoying all of the attention and love I was getting.  The lady was still kneeling on the sidewalk next to me, scratching under my chin.  She looked me right in the eyes and said, "You are such a good boy!"

"A good what?!"  I said to myself.  Why did she think I was a boy?  I wasn't wearing anything blue.  My collar and leash are both purple.  My name is Ethel Frances.  That is definitely not a boy's name.  Then I felt a little embarrassed.  Why does she think I am a boy?  I looked at Mommy and drew my eyebrows together so she would see that I was confused.

Mommy looked at me, smiled, and patted my head.  The she turned to the lady and said, "Thank you for being so nice to my dog.  Her name is Ethel Frances.  She really loves people.  "  Wow!  Mommy is pretty smart.  She understood that I didn't like being called "boy" and she found a nice way to tell the lady that I am a girl without hurting the lady's feelings."

"Ethel Frances!  I have never heard that name.  It is a beautiful name for  beautiful girl!  I am glad we met today, Ethel Frances.  I hope to see you again very soon."

I hope I see her again soon, too.  I also hope she will remember that I am a girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book