Monday, July 1, 2013

We Got Loose

Mommy took Izzy out to go potty and Izzy actually pooped outside for once.  Mommy brought her in, put her in the crate, and went back outside to pick up the poop.  LuLu was standing near the door.  I heard her whisper, "Ethel Frances!  Come here quick!  Look at the door."  I ran over to LuLu and she was standing by the door that Mommy hadn't closed all the way.

"LuLu, you know how to open doors.  Do it!  Let's go."  LuLu stood watching Mommy for a minute.  She said,  "OK, look.  Mommy has her back to the sidewalk.  Let's go now."  LuLu slipped her paw in the opening, pushed the door wide open, and out we went.

We ran up a hill to the sidewalk and saw a neighborhood Dachshund.  LuLu had never seen him because she doesn't like being outside, but I have seen him lots of times.  He is kind of nasty.  He barks his head off whenever he sees me.  I try to talk to him, but he isn't interested in being friends.  When he saw us, he started barking and screaming.  At first we just stood there looking at him, but we got tired of his barking at us.  We barked back.  We are much bigger than he is and so are our barks.  He got scared and his daddy picked him up and held him up in the air.

Suddenly, we heard Mommy calling us.  "Ethel Frances!  LuLu!  Where are you?  How did you get out?  Get back here right now.  Come!"  Then we saw her running towards us.  I looked at LuLu and said, "We better go home before we really get in trouble."  LuLu and I ran home.  Mommy was standing by the open door.  "Get in here right now."  LuLu ran right in the house.

 I looked at LuLu and Mommy and I ran away from them.  While I was running around, I was telling myself that it was OK to run away if I just stay close to the house.  I like to run and I know that it is dangerous to go in the street, so I don't.  I also know that it isn't safe to go with strangers, so I don't do that either.  While I was thinking, I realized that Mommy's voice was getting closer.  I could hear anger in it.  "Ethel Frances!  You get over here right now."  I put my head down and walked over to Mommy. Then with my head down, I looked up at Mommy.  She knows that is my "I'm sorry" look, but she wasn't ready to hear my apology.  She grabbed my collar and dragged me home.

After we were in the house, Mommy went back out and closed the door.  We could hear her say, "Is your dog OK?"  The man with the Dachshund answered, "Yes.  He is fine.  Your dogs didn't come anywhere near him."  Mommy said, "I am really sorry.  I didn't even know my dogs had gotten loose."

She came back in and looked at LuLu and me.  "How did you girls get out without my knowing?  You are pretty smart, aren't you.  You know you're not supposed to do that, right?  And you scared that poor, little Dachshund?"  Then Mommy looked at me and smiled.  "He's the one that is nasty to you Ethel Frances.  I guess he kind of deserved it."  I smiled back at Mommy and then she said, "But don't do it again.  OK? You could get hurt and that would make me sad because I love you so much."

LuLu and I were very happy that we can't talk.  We couldn't answer any of Mommy's questions.  We just stood there with our "I'm sorry" expression and waited to be forgiven.  And we were.  As  soon as Mommy finished talking she gave us hugs and kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book