Monday, March 5, 2012

I Made a Mistake

I was taking a walk with Mommy and I was very happy. While we are walking, Mommy sings songs and talks to me and all of her attention is on me. I love that and even though I can't sing or talk to Mommy, she can tell that I am happy. The happier I am, the faster my tail wags and I have a bounce to my step. All of a sudden I saw my friend Sadie,the Boxer. She was walking on the other side of the street with her daddy. I was going to bark, "Sadie! Do you want to play with me?" And then it happened. My problem with self-control got the best of me. Instead of calling out to Sadie, I started running and if Mommy hadn't been holding my leash I would have run right in the street without even looking. I wanted to play with Sadie so much that I didn't even think about the rules. I stopped heeling, I pulled on the leash, and I was ready to run in the street. "Ethel Frances! No! What are you doing? Sit and stay!" Mommy was so upset. She leaned down and her eyes met mine and she said, "Oh, Ethel Frances. You just did something very naughty and very dangerous. I know Sadie is your friend and you like to play with her, but is playing with her more important than being safe? If I hadn't been holding your leash tightly, you would have gone in the street and you could have been hit by a car! I love you very much and if anything happened to you, I would be too sad for words. You have to obey the rules even when you want to play with your friends."

 I sat and listened to Mommy's words and I knew she was right. I made a mistake-a big one. I looked up into Mommy's eyes and I hoped she could see that I was sorry. I wish I could have told her that I will try my best to never do that again, but since I can't talk I will have to show her by not trying to run in the street ever again. Mommy hugged me and said, "Ethel Frances, I can tell that you are sorry and that you understand what you did was wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. Just please don't do that again. Let's finish our walk now." And we walked and Mommy sang and talked all the way home. I made a mistake, but I learned something too. Mommy always loves me, even when I make mistakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book