Monday, March 19, 2012

Valentina, a Guide Dog

Sunday is my favorite day of the week because my mommy takes me to the Hebrew Home to visit the residents. Mommy and I are volunteers in the pet therapy program. I help people just by visiting them. As soon as they see me they smile and reach out to pet me. Some people bend down so I can give them kisses. We visit people in the lobby, in their rooms, in physical therapy, and in the TV room, too. In fact we are allowed to visit any place except the dining room. I don't like that rule because I would like to go in the dining room and lick up food on the floor just like I do at my home. One Sunday we visited a lady named Sophie and when we were getting ready to leave, her daughter was just arriving and she had a dog with her. I noticed that the dog had a leash and a harness and the harness had a handle. I wondered what the handle was for. It looked like a big handle on a purse but I thought the dog was too big to pick up by the handle. Mommy started talking to the lady and I started listening to their conversation because that is a good way to learn. I learned that the lady is blind and I learned that the dog's name is Valentina. She is a guide dog and her mommy holds the handle when they walk and Valentina guides her. She helps her mommy when she walks by showing her where it is safe. She even helps her mommy cross the street by letting her know when there are no cars coming. Then I learned something about Valentina on my own. I learned that she is sweet and that she likes to play. We went back in Sophie's room and Mommy closed the door and took my leash off and Valentina's mommy took her harness off. Sophie was sitting in a wheelchair and Valentina and I ran circles around her. The more we ran, the more Sophie and the mommies laughed. Once I accidentally bumped into the wheelchair and I got upset because I was afraid I hurt Sophie, but Sophie laughed and patted me and said she was just fine. Valentina and I ran and ran and bounced around until we were too tired to even stand so we lay down to rest, but after a few minutes we were at it again.

All of a sudden, Valentina stopped playing with me and ran and sat right in front of her mommy and her mommy put the harness on Valentina. Mommy could tell from the expression on my face that I didn't understand what happened. "Ethel Frances," Mommy said in her teaching voice, "Valentina didn't want to stop playing with you, but when she has the harness on she is doing her guide dog job. She is not allowed to play with anyone and people aren't even allowed to pet her. She is so smart and so well trained that as soon as her mommy picks up the harness she knows what to do without even being told. Isn't that amazing!" I agreed, with my wagging tail, and Mommy knew that I understood.

We visit a lot of people at the Home, but only one dog. We make sure we visit Sophie the same time Valentina does so we can play with each other. I learned something about Valentina and me. Valentina is a guide dog, but she only guides and helps one person -- her mommy. When I go to the Hebrew Home, I visit and help everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Ethel Frances, if you were allowed in the dining room, they would never need to clean the floors. Think of all the work they would save!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcie, I bet Mommy told them that I have self-control problem. If she did, then they are probably worried that I would jump up at the tables to steal food. I guess having to clean the floors is better than having hungry people.

      Delete

Where to Buy My Book