Monday, April 16, 2012

I am Proud of My Sister, LuLu

When I was born I lived with my dog mommy and my seven puppy brothers and sisters and when I was eight weeks old, my human Mommy adopted me. It took me a little while to adjust to living with just a person, but I love my Mommy very much and she loves me, too. Even though I can’t talk and tell my feelings to Mommy, she knew I was lonely for a dog, especially when she went out and I was all alone. One day Mommy went out and when she came home she surprised me with a little puppy. I had a sister. Mommy named her LuLu and she was perfect for our family. But LuLu isn’t like me at all. I love people and I want to be everyone’s friend and I am always happy to meet new people outside and in my house, too.

LuLu is afraid of almost everybody. She loves Mommy and Frid. Frid is Mommy’s best friend and she went with Mommy to get LuLu and held her in the car. LuLu never forgot that. When people come to the house I try to get LuLu to like them and not be afraid, but she doesn’t believe me when I tell her they won't hurt her and she runs upstairs to hide. Sometimes I hold her collar in my mouth and try to pull her downstairs, but that doesn’t work. One day I was very frustrated with LuLu because our human brother Jacob was at the house and LuLu wouldn’t even say hello to him.

Mommy could see that I was upset so she had a talk with me to explain LuLu’s behavior. “Ethel Frances. Come here, honey, I want to talk to you.” At first I thought Mommy wanted to have a talk because I had done something wrong, but when we have those talks, she doesn’t call me honey. So I sat in front of Mommy and she said, “Ethel Frances, this will be hard for you to understand because all the people you know are good people, but not everyone is good. When LuLu was a little baby, she was with someone who did bad things and that person hurt LuLu. That is why she is afraid of people. I am trying to help her understand that most people are good and that she doesn’t have to be afraid when she is with us.” Wow! That is terrible. I didn’t know that people would hurt dogs. Why would they do that? Mommy understood my thoughts and she answered, “Ethel Frances, I don’t know who hurt LuLu and I will never understand why anyone would hurt a dog, especially a little tiny puppy. I am glad LuLu is safe in our family. Maybe one day she will feel safe.”

Friday night, we had company for dinner and LuLu ran upstairs to hide as soon as the first person arrived. The people were sitting at the table eating and I was under the table waiting for people to drop food. All of a sudden, LuLu came downstairs. The room was suddenly quiet because everyone was surprised to see her. She came all the way into the room and climbed up on the sofa and she even let people pet her! I was proud of my sister except for one thing. LuLu was getting all of the attention! I have to admit that I was jealous and then all of a sudden Mommy came over to me and gave me a great big hug and said, “Ethel Frances, look how happy LuLu is. Isn’t that wonderful!”

And then I realized that there was enough love and attention for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book