Monday, July 30, 2012

Teamwork Gets Us Breakfast at 5

My little sister, Izzy, and I used to have a problem but the middle sister, LuLu, solved it for us. LuLu is afraid of almost everything and everyone and she is so quiet that I sometimes forget how smart she is. Izzy and I like to eat breakfast at 5 a.m., but LuLu doesn't care when she eats. In fact, sometimes she doesn't eat for a day or two. I don't understand that at all! Anyway, Izzy and I try to wake Mommy up at 5 so she will give us breakfast. She knows we don't have to go outside to pee or poop because we don't do that until after we eat and she won't get up just to feed us.

Izzy tries to wake Mommy up first by licking her face and neck and by scratching at the blankets. Mommy just pushes her away and rolls over without even opening her eyes. Then I try by barking and barking. I get tired of barking before she gets tired of ignoring me. So I get up and sit in front of the TV to get her attention. Oops. She is sleeping -- or pretending to -- and her eyes are closed. She isn't looking at the TV. Izzy already went back to sleep. I wasn't ready to give up, but I didn't have any ideas. LuLu did.

She went over to Izzy and poked her. "Wake up, Izzy! I have an idea," LuLu said. Izzy jumped up and we both sat in front of LuLu, waiting to hear her idea. "You know what I do to get Mommy's attention, right? I poke her with my fingernails, like I just poked you, Izzy. Isn't it annoying!" LuLu leaned forward and poked me so I would know what it feels like and it is annoying. "Go on, LuLu," I said.

"I don't care when I eat," LuLu continued "but I know, you girls do and because you are my sisters, I will help you. Tomorrow morning, both of you do what you do every morning and instead of sleeping, I will get up and poke Mommy. I bet she will get up and feed us. Do you like my idea?" Izzy and I both liked her idea and couldn't wait to see it in action.

The next morning at 5, Izzy started licking Mommy's face and neck and then she scratched at the blankets. I started barking and barking. Mommy pushed Izzy away and pulled the blankets over her head and totally ignored us. LuLu looked at us and smiled and walked over to Mommy and poked her arm. She poked and poked and Mommy ignored the poking -- until LuLu poked her in the face. Twice!

"Fine!" Mommy said. "I will get up and feed you if you stop licking and barking and poking. OK?" Of course we can't talk so we couldn't say OK. We just stopped doing everything. When Mommy went to get our bowls, Izzy and I looked at LuLu. She was stretched out on the sofa with a huge smile on her face. She looked very proud of herself. Izzy and I ran over to her and gave her lots of kisses. "Thank you, LuLu,!" we said at the same time. Then we ran in the kitchen and ate our breakfast at 5, just like we wanted.

When we finished eating, we went in the living room and there was LuLu's bowl -- untouched. She went to the trouble of helping us get our breakfast at 5, and she really didn't care when she ate.

That's what I call a good sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book