Monday, July 23, 2012

Where Did Friday Go?

Something very strange happened to me. It started Thursday night when all of a sudden Mommy took away our water and didn't give us a good night treat. Then when we got up Friday morning, we still didn't have water and worse than that, Mommy didn't give us breakfast! LuLu and Izzy and I talked about it and talked about being so hungry and thirsty, but none of us knew why Mommy was depriving us.

We knew it was Friday because when Mommy was getting ready for work she said what she says every week. "Girls, I have to go to work, but today is Friday and I get off of work early for Shabbat and then I will be home all day tomorrow and a lot of the day on Sunday. Isn't that great!" But that is where the weekly routine ended. She didn't give us a cookie and a treat and stranger than that, she got my leash and said, "Let's go, Ethel Frances. I don't want to be late." I was totally confused. I have never gone to work with Mommy. What was going on?!

I found out soon enough. Mommy took me to my doctor. I thought I was going to get my shots and then Mommy would take me home and go to work. I was wrong. Kim came out to say good morning and I was happy to see her and I gave her kisses and wagged my tail as fast as I could. While all of this was going on, Mommy bent down and gave me a kiss and a great big hug and she said, "Bye, Honey. I will pick you up on my way home. You be a good girl, OK?" and she gave my leash to Kim and left without me.

At first I thought she was joking because she does that a lot, but then I heard our car drive away. No one was laughing. Kim took me to the back and put me in a great big crate, without food and water. It was worse than being at the pound! At least at the pound they feed the animals. I decided to try to take a nap, but before I had the chance Kim and the doctor came to get me. They picked me up and put me on a hard table and stuck a needle in my arm. Why! I wanted my Mommy and I even started to cry and all of a sudden I got very sleepy and I conked out! When I woke up I was back in the crate and I was still hungry and thirsty and now my knee was hurting very badly. I couldn't figure it out, but I tell you what. I was one unhappy dog!

When Mommy finally came to get me the doctor told her that my knee was OK and the Xray looked OK, too. She said she moved my knee around a lot and it would probably be sore for a day or two. The doctor also said I tolerated the anesthesia very well. Mommy was happy with the news and gave me a big hug. I didn't understand any of that conversation. All I wanted was to go home, see my sisters, and have some food and water. And that is exactly what happened. After I drank and ate I realized that I was still very tired and I slept all the way from dinner to breakfast. When I woke up, it was Shabbat and Mommy was home with us all day and we were all very happy.

I still don't know what happened to Friday. I just hope it never happens again.

2 comments:

  1. Glad your x-rays came back good! Sorry for the lost day, Ethel Frances. Sometimes I feel like I lose days too but it's because I'm being lazy and not that I actually was unconscious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mommy said you work hard and play hard and you take very good care of Melvin. That prooves you are not lazy!

    ReplyDelete

Where to Buy My Book