Monday, July 2, 2012

Why Did We Sit in the Dark?

Friday night we were going to sleep and I heard loud thunder and rain. The storm was so bad that even Mommy was scared. The lights in the house went off and came back on a few times and then they went off and didn't come back on. I don't understand what happened. Why didn't Mommy get up and turn them back on? The air conditioner and fan stopped, too, and it was starting to get warm in the house. I thought Mommy didn't turn everything back on because it was Shabbat, but after we sat in the hot, dark house and made Havddallah, it was still dark and getting warmer.

My sister LuLu was confused and she stopped eating. She gets scared and confused pretty often and she always stops eating. She told me she gets so upset she feels like she can't swallow. I eat everything all the time. I told LuLu when I get upset, I eat even more than when I'm not. Izzy didn't seem to notice that anything was different. Mommy lit a lot of little candles and she had two flashlights that she used when we went outside and was I surprised when we did go outside! All of those lights were off, too.

Mommy didn't complain about the dark but she had a lot to say about being hot. She hates to be hot and that is something else I didn't understand. Why didn't she turn the air conditioner on when it went off? I know that you can't get anything accomplished by just complaining. You have to do something! How was I going to tell Mommy my thoughts and feelings. Well, I did know how to tell her I was hot. I went right up to her face and panted and panted and blew hot air on her. "Mommy, this means that I am hot. Please do something about it."

She did something, all right. She moved me away from her face and said, "Ethel Frances, I know you are hot and I am hot, too, but I can't do anything about it." All day Sunday we sat in a dark hot house and I noticed Mommy didn't open the refrigerator and she also didn't eat ice cream. I think cold ice cream would taste real good on a hot day. What was happening to my Mommy and our house? Sunday night Mommy opened doors and we got a breeze and the house got cooler -- not cool, but cool-er.

Mommy left us today and went to work and while she was away, the lights came back on but the air conditioner didn't. Mommy came home and showed me fans she bought and found out she didn't need them. "Girls, girls, the electricity is back! Hooray! Aren't you happy!" First she turned on the air conditioner and then she went all around the house flipping switches. And then I was even more confused. If it was that easy to make the house cool and light, why didn't she do that a long time ago?

"Come here, girls. I want to talk to you. I don't know if you will understand but I hope you will. Do you remember that awful storm we had Friday night?" As if we would forget that fast. "Well, the wind was very strong and knocked down trees and power lines. That is why we had to sit in hot, dark house. I hope it doesn't happen again, but if it does I bought two fans that don't use electricity and I bought a radio that uses batteries. At least for now we are nice and cool. Thank you for being such good girls and for not complaining."

I do understand now and I am proud of us for being good. Well, two of us were good. One of us ran out the door without her leash and collar and it was so dark Mommy had a hard time finding her. She is lucky that Mommy didn't just let her run away! Can you guess who the bad one is??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book