Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Ouch! What Happened to My Leg?? (a long blog)

My bad day actually started last night. Mommy picked up our water dish like she usually does when she cleans it and fills it. She cleaned it and put it on the floor empty. What was she thinking? She never did put water in it. When we woke up this morning, not only did we not have water but she didn't give us food either. LuLu started barking at Mommy. "Mommy, please feed us. We are hungry. Mommy! Did you hear me?" LuLu looked at me and Izzy and shrugged her shoulders. "Oh my sisters. I tried to get Mommy to feed us. I barked and barked and I even cried, but she ignored me. What's going on here?"

Mommy didn't eat breakfast either. She looked at us and said, "Girls, I know you are hungry. I am, too, but Ethel Frances is having surgery in a little while so she is not allowed to eat or drink. I don't think it's fair for all of us to eat when Ethel Frances can't."

Surgery! There's that word again. The first time I heard it was last week. Dr. Burns and Mommy were talking about it after he moved my sore leg around and made it feel worse. All I know about surgery is that Mommy said it will fix my leg. I hope she is right because my leg has been hurting. Mommy hasn't taken me on any long walks and she hasn't let me run for a while and those are two of my favorite activities.

Mommy brought me home after leaving me at Flower Valley Veterinary Hospital. That is where Dr. Burns is. I usually like to go there because everyone loves me and I get lots of attention and hugs. Today was different. When we got to Dr. Burns', Mommy and I went in, but only Mommy left. "Mommy! Wait! Where are you going? Why aren't you taking me? Don't leave me here, Mommy!" Mommy looked at me and said, "Ethel Frances, you have to stay. You need surgery to fix your poor leg. I know you don't understand but you just have to trust me. I love you so much. I want your leg to be better so you can run and play and go on long walks again." She gave me a big hug and kiss and then she left. It looked like she had tears in her eyes. Why was she crying? I am the one who got left behind. I cried, too.

Kim took me in the back and put me on a big table. She stuck me in the arm with something sharp and I got very sleepy. Next thing I knew I woke up in a crate. All of the hair on my leg was gone and it hurt so bad. I didn't know anything could hurt that bad. I thought my leg was going to be fixed. I thought it wasn't going to hurt anymore. Is everyone crazy? Don't they know they made me hurt more? Before I could say anything to Kim, I fell asleep. Why am I so sleepy?

Mommy finally came to pick me up. I was there so long that it was dark outside. Kim called out to me, "Ethel Frances, it's time for you to go home. Your mommy is here." I was happy about that but I had so much trouble walking. I was sleepy and my leg hurt too much to walk on it. I held it up in the air and walked on three legs. Then I had to get in the car. I hate to get in the car when my leg doesn't hurt. Now I hated it even more. Kim didn't wait for me to get in myself. She got Stephanie and they lifted me and put me in the back.

Mommy put my bed and blankie in the kitchen and put up gates to keep me in there. My leg hurt so much. I cried a lot for a day or two and then it started to feel a little better. I started putting it down when I walk. Mommy bends and straightens my leg. She stops when it starts to hurt. She calls it physical therapy. Mommy said I can't go up steps or get on furniture for four weeks. She keeps a gate up at the steps and put a table and chairs in front of the sofa.

I figured out how to go behind the chairs and Mommy found me curled up on the sofa! She told me not to do that again, but I did. Maybe that is why my leg was hurting more tonight. Maybe I will stay off the sofa tomorrow. Oh, I also ran up the steps when Mommy forgot to put the gate up. I will try to listen because as Mommy keeps saying, "I am doing this to help you. It's for your own good."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book