Monday, December 10, 2012

Valentina Part 2 - LuLu Got in Trouble and I Watched

Sometimes Mommy takes LuLu and me out together but today she took us one at a time. I got to be first. Mommy said, "Come on, Ethel Frances. Want to go for a walk? You can go first because you asked first." She put my leash on and out we went. Oops! Mommy made a mistake. She didn't close the door all the way. LuLu stuck her nose in the crack, pushed the door open, and ran past us like a bolt of lightening!

"LuLu! Come! LuLu! LuLu! Want a treat?" Mommy was yelling loudly, but LuLu didn't come. Next thing I knew, Mommy dragged me home, shoved me in the door, and shut the door all the way. I didn't like that for two reasons: she shoved my butt which is rude and I couldn't open the door. Even though I couldn't escape, at least the blinds were open so I could watch.

I saw LuLu run to the right. Then Mommy ran to the right. Just as she reach LuLu, LuLu ran to the left. Then Mommy ran to the left. They went back and forth and back and forth. Mommy was getting tired but LuLu was going strong. The interesting part of this story is that LuLu never would have done this before Valentina came to our house. Valentina gave LuLu courage and confidence.

I watched LuLu pass Mommy a few more times, but suddenly she stopped and was sniffing the ground. I could see that it was a candy wrapper. That was good for Mommy. LuLu loves candy and she also loves to eat paper. She was so happy with it that she forgot all about Mommy. I saw Mommy tip-toe quietly and she leaned forward, grabbed LuLu's collar, and started dragging her home. I couldn't wait until they got closer so I could hear what kind of punishment LuLu was going to get. Time out? Short walks? No treats? I have received all of those punishments more than once. I try to be a good girl, but sometimes I can't help it.

As they approached the door I heard Mommy saying, "LuLu! I don't know what to do. I am very angry that you went out all by yourself and I am even more upset that you didn't come when I called you even though you had five hundred chances! However, while you were being naughty, you were using your courage and confidence. It's the first time in five years that you weren't afraid while you were outside. You should be rewarded for that, but that will encourage you to do it again and that isn't safe -- for you or for me. I guess this is like a football game and they are offsetting penalties."

I love sports and watch games with Mommy so I knew exactly what she meant. LuLu gets scared when Mommy watches games because she screams and yells at the TV so LuLu doesn't know what offsetting penalties are. Mommy could tell that by the confused expression on LuLu's face. "Let's get in the house, LuLu, and I will explain everything."

They came inside and Mommy told LuLu to sit and Mommy sat with her. "LuLu, it is dangerous for you to be outside without me. If you run in the street you could be hit by a car and that would hurt. If you run too far, you might get lost and never find your way home. That would make Ethel Frances, Izzy, and me sadder than sad. That is why you should be punished. You know what you did was wrong because I have talked to all three of you about this."

"Oh boy. Here comes the punishment," I said to myself. Mommy said, "When Valentina came to visit, you learned that people aren't scary and you weren't afraid of her parents, Anita and Frank. You also aren't afraid when other people come to the house. You certainly weren't afraid while you were running all over the neighborhood. You should be rewarded for being brave. So you do the math, LuLu. One reward minus one punishment equals zero -- no reward and no punishment. Just a lecture and a request that you never do that again."

"LuLu, I am proud of you for getting over your fears and I love you." Mommy saw me sitting and listening and she gave me a big hug. "I love you and I am proud of you, too, Ethel Frances." Then she saw Izzy sitting there. She gave Izzy a small hug and a quick kiss and said, "I love you, too, Izzy." Izzy doesn't give Mommy a whole of reasons to be proud. Maybe she will when she gets a little older.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book