Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Mommy's Day Off

July 31 did not start out very happy, but I am glad to report that it had a happy ending. The day started like all the other days. We got up at 5 a.m. and had breakfast and then Mommy got ready to walk us. I have two sisters. LuLu is a Rottweiler/Border Collie mix and Isabel Victoria (we call her Izzy most of the time) is a Jack Russell Terrier. Mommy always takes LuLu first, then me, and then Izzy.

 It was my turn and I was excited because I love going for walks with Mommy, especially when I have her all to myself. So out the door we went. I had a bounce to my step and my tail was wagging very fast. I was sniffing around while I was walking and all of a sudden I heard my mommy's voice. It was not a happy sound. In fact, she was growling. I couldn't believe it. What was wrong on such a beautiful day? "Come on, Ethel Frances! Hurry up, Ethel Frances! What's your problem, Ethel Frances?"

What is my problem? What was Mommy's problem? Unfortunately, I can't talk so I couldn't try to talk to Mommy and ask her these questions. Mommy acted grumpy the whole time. While we were walking, I was wondering if Mommy knew that she ruined my time with her.  The grumpier Mommy sounded, the more upset I got. I started thinking that Mommy was going to ruin my whole day!  Then I got kind of worried because Mommy loves going on walks with me. Maybe Mommy was grumpy because she was sick.

I started to tell LuLu and Izzy about the walk, but before I could, I heard Mommy's voice again. Sometimes Mommy talks to herself because it makes her feel better to say her problems out loud. I heard her say, "What a rotten way to start a day off. I don't have to go to work today, but I have to leave early in the morning anyway to take my car to get an oil change. Grrrrrrrrrr."

When I realized why Mommy was grumpy, I wanted to help her feel better. "Hmmm. What could I do?" I knew exactly what to do. I ran over to Mommy and did a little dance in front of her and wagged my tail as hard as I could." I knew Mommy would understand me even though I don't have words and I was right!

Mommy leaned down and hugged all 90 pounds of me. She hugged me and kissed and scratched my back. She said, "Thank you, Ethel Frances! You always make me feel good. I was grumpy because I have to take the car in early on my day off. I am not grumpy anymore because you showed me that I should be happy.  Now I realize how lucky I am to have a job and to have a day off. I will be home much earlier today than when I work. I will have the whole afternoon to be with you and LuLu and Izzy."

And that's exactly what happened. It is almost time for dinner now. Mommy got home a long time ago and she took us for walks and played with us.  We even took naps together! So my day today was a good one. I hope yours was, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book