Sunday, August 25, 2013

What is a Haircut?

I was so confused. This past Friday morning began like all Fridays.  We had breakfast at 5, waited for Mommy to get ready for work, and then had our walks.  When we got home, Mommy put up gates to confine us to the living room and dining room.  She always does that when she will be away for a long time. I think she wants to keep us out of the kitchen; not to keep us in the living and dining rooms.

Mommy comes home from work early on Fridays.  She always reminds us right before she leaves the house. Not this past Friday.  Mommy said, "Bye, girls.  I am sorry but I won't be home early today.  I am going to a get a haircut right after work.  Then I have to go to the store before I come home.  I will give you an extra treat so you won't get too hungry. Please take good care of the house. I love you!"

Out the door she went.  My little sisters, LuLu and Izzy, and I started talking as soon as Mommy left.  We were trying to figure out what a haircut is and where do you get one.  I am pretty smart, but I only know two things about hair.  One is that Mommy is forever sweeping and vacuuming our hair (which is really fur) because we shed a lot.  The other is that Mommy is always talking about how her hair looks. The only things I know about cuts are they hurt and they bleed..

My sisters and I couldn't figure out what Mommy was talking about.  We decided to take a nap until Mommy got home.  When Mommy finally did get home, she was very late.  She took us out to pee and started unpacking the bags she brought home.  LuLu, Izzy, and I went in the kitchen and stared at Mommy. We noticed that her hair looked shorter.  How did that happen?  Did someone actually cut her hair?  Did it hurt?  Did it bleed?  Who did it?

Since we can't talk, it is hard to ask Mommy questions.  We did figure out that if we cock our heads to the side and draw our eyebrows together, Mommy knows we don't understand something.  So that's what we all did..  It took Mommy a minute or two to notice us, but when she did she started to laugh.  "Oh, my girls! What is wrong?  Why are you staring at me like that?  What is it that you don't understand?  I so wish that you could talk!"

Usually I can get my thoughts across to Mommy with facial expressions, whines, barks, growls, and tail wagging; but, not this time.  All I can say is whatever happened to Mommy's hair must not have hurt. Mommy was very happy.  She bent down to give us kisses and when she stood up she said, "So girls, do you like the way my hair looks now?  I got a haircut today and I am very happy with how it looks."

We all looked at each other and smiled.  Then we looked at Mommy and wagged our tails as fast as we could so she would know that we liked her hair, too.  I guess we will never really know what a haircut is and where you go to get one.

I try to learn something new everyday.  Today I learned that haircuts don't hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book