Sunday, August 4, 2013

Ditched Again?

Last Sunday, Mommy took me to visit my friends at the Home.  When we got to the door, I started sniffing around and wagging my tail as fast as it would go.  Mommy looked at me and smiled. "Ethel Frances, is Valentina here already?" she asked.  I can't talk so I couldn't say yes.

Instead, I started walking as fast as I could, remembering that I am not allowed to pull Mommy. We got in the elevator and my tail was wagging like crazy.  Mommy started laughing.  "Ethel Frances, I can tell from your tail that Valentina is here.  Isn't it great that you can tell me things even though you can't talk!"

We got off the elevator and went right to Sophie's (Anita's mommy) door.  Mommy knocked gently and I heard Anita (Valentina's mommy) say, "Come in."  Mommy opened the door and I pushed past her.  "Valentina, I'm here and I am so happy to see you."

"Ethel Frances!  I am happy, too.  I have been looking for you since we got here."  I can't talk to Mommy, but I can talk to Valentina.  We both speak Dog Language and we totally understand each other.  We started chasing each other, running circles around Sophie.  I like to bark when I play, but I try to remember that sometimes when I bark Valentina gets scared.  Anita said that since Valentina is a guide dog, she was taught not to bark. Isn't that interesting.

Valentina and I played while Anita, Sophie, and Mommy talked.  After a while, Valentina's' Daddy, Frank, showed up.  When it was time for Sophie to go eat lunch, it was time for the rest of us to go home.  Frank, Anita, Mommy, Valentina, and I all rode in the elevator together.  When we got outside, Frank said to Mommy, "I am going to take Valentina to go Potty.  I can take Ethel Frances, too."  Mommy said thank you to Frank because she has good manners and I trotted off with them.

At first I was happy to be going for a walk with Valentina and Frank.  Then I remembered something.  Last time Mommy gave my leash to someone, she left me with that person for a long time --four days!  I got scared and started to whine.  I love Valentina.  She is my best friend.  But I love my mommy more.  Was she ditching me again?  I took two steps back to give me room to pull and I pulled Frank has hard as I could.

I know I am not supposed to do that, but I just had to know if Mommy was ditching me or if she was waiting to take me home.  All of a sudden I heard Mommy call out, "Frank!  Just drop the leash before she hurts you."  Just when Frank dropped my leash, Mommy knelt down on the sidewalk.  I ran as fast as I could, right into her arms.  She threw her arms around me and gave me a tight hug and lots of kisses.  I kissed her whole face.

"Ethel Frances, I am sorry you were scared.  I bet you thought I was going to leave you again. Right?  I am sorry you were upset.  I love you so much and I just want you to be happy."

I wagged my tail and kissed Mommy's face again so she would know that I am happy and I love her, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book