Monday, July 22, 2013

A Pole is a Great Big Stick

The other when Mommy and I were going for a walk, we left through the front door where I keep all of my sticks.  I chose one that was short and fat.  While we were walking, I started chewing on it. Mommy doesn't like when I do that.  She says eating sticks isn't good for me.

I didn't listen to Mommy.  The stick was soft and broke in half when I bit down on it.  I drew my eyebrows together and turned my head to the side.  Mommy knows that is what I do when I don't understand something.  She looked down at me and smiled.  "Ethel Frances, are you trying to understand what happened to your stick?"  I wagged my tail so Mommy would know she was right.

"We have been getting a lot of rain lately.  Your stick got very wet and soft.  That is why it broke and fell apart when you chewed it -- which you aren't supposed to do.  Let's see if we can find a better stick on our walk.  OK, honey?"

I wagged my tail again and we started walking.  We hadn't gone very far and I spotted a stick.  It was one of the biggest sticks I had ever seen.  I pulled gently on my leash so Mommy would come with me. That stick was so big and heavy that I could barely pick it up.  I struggled with it and finally lifted it up and started walking again.

Mommy was laughing.  "Ethel Frances, the only stick I ever saw that big was actually a tree! That stick is huge.  It is very smooth, too.  I think that it isn't really a stick.  It's a pole!"  I drew my eyebrows together again and looked up at Mommy.

"Is pole a new word for you?" she asked.  I wagged my tail.  "A pole is a great big stick."

What a wonderful day that was!  I walked with my mommy, found a big stick, and learned a new word.  I am one very happy dog!

Copyright © Marcia Miller and Ethel Frances Miller, 2012 - 2013, All Rights Reserved. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ethel Frances! I'm glad to read that you learned a new word--you have such an impressive vocabulary! "Pole" is also a word for a person from Poland. I am in Poland right now, so I see and talk to Poles every day! Here's a few words in Polish so you can learn new words in another language. Cześć! That means "hi." Na razie! That means "see you later." Na razie, Ethel Frances!

    ReplyDelete

Where to Buy My Book