Monday, July 15, 2013

Did Mommy Make Me Sick?

On the 4th of July, Mommy said, "Guess what, girls?  Today is the 4th of July.  I don't have to work today or tomorrow.  I am going to Pittsburgh and you will be staying with John and Heather.  Won't that be fun?"

I understood what Mommy said about not going to work because she doesn't work on Saturday and Sunday.  I didn't understand "Pittsburgh," though.  Mommy was busy putting clothes and other things in a black bag.  Then she did something very strange.  She got Izzy and her crate and left.  She came right back in empty handed.  Then she called LuLu and me.  She got our leashes and out the door we went. Instead of going for a walk, Mommy put us in the car.  Izzy was already in the back seat in her crate; LuLu was next to Izzy; and, I got in the front next to Mommy.

Mommy talked to us in the car.  She said, "Girls, I am going to Pittsburgh to visit my brother.  I am happy about spending time with my brother and his family, but I am sad about leaving you at the farm with John and Heather."

Wait a minute!  We're not going to Pittsburgh?  We have to stay at the farm without Mommy!  Why? Mommy answered as if I had asked the question aloud.  "My brother moved from a big house to a small apartment.  There is no room for you girls.  I feel bad about leaving you, but I think you will have fun without me."  Just then, we pulled into the driveway at the farm.  Heather came out and took us into the house, right after Mommy kissed  us good bye.  That was last Thursday.  We didn't see Mommy again until Sunday, when she finally picked us up and took us home.

And then I got sick.  My tummy hurt.  I won't tell you any of the details, but it was gross.  Mommy had to stay home from work one day because I was too sick to stay home alone.  She took me to Dr. Martof at the Flower Valley Veterinary Clinic and gave the doctor details of my sickness.

Was I ever surprised to hear what Dr. Martof said!  Mommy should have taken our food to John and Heather.  Giving us strange food could have upset my tummy.  The doctor went on to say that my tummy could also be upset just from being stressed out about Mommy leaving me.  Wow!  Mommy sure looked sad.  She got my medicine and we left.

As soon as we were in the parking lot, Mommy knelt down next to me and gave me a tight hug.  "Oh, Ethel Frances!  I am so sorry.  I guess I made you sick.  I can't say I won't leave you with John and Heather again because I am sure I will.  But I promise that I will take your food there.  Maybe if you have your own food, you will be OK.  I love you so much and I don't want you to get sick again."

I kissed Mommy from the bottom of her chin to the top of her head.  Even though I can't talk, Mommy understood that my kiss meant I forgave her and that I love her, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Buy My Book